Serves as the link between Vision Loss Resources and the 200 volunteers who provide services to people with vision loss. This part time position is temporary up to 6 months. Up to 20 hours per week. Flexible hours possilble. Position could lead to regular ongoing employment.
RESPONSIBILITIES: 1. Plans, develops and implements processes and systems for the recruitment, training, scheduling, evaluation, supervision and recognition of volunteers.
2. Recruits, trains, assigns and supervises approximately 200 volunteers who are responsible for the delivery of services to VLR clients, programs and staff.
3. Matches volunteers to requests, and schedules delivery of volunteer services to the client, program or staff person. Has responsibility for the management of client and volunteer risk during the service delivery process.
4. Evaluates effectiveness of volunteer services, gathers evaluation information, advises volunteers regarding delivery of services and other issues, and maintains statistics on volunteer performance for community information and reporting.
5. Plans and coordinates training and/or continuing education for all volunteers, Peer Counselors and Support Group Facilitators. Prepares requests for peer counselors
6. Develops new opportunities for volunteers that may include volunteers for new innovative programming such as mentors or teachers.
7. Maintains a speakers bureau of volunteers to provide outreach to schools, community groups and funding organizations.
8. Tracks and reports the number of volunteer hours each month and ensures volunteers are appropriately reimbursed for mileage and service-related expenses.
9. Identifies appropriate outside resources and helps clients access services that are unavailable through Vision Loss Resources. Coordinates services with other agencies to facilitate additional services for the client.
10. Suggests proposals for funding to Director of Resource Development to support new volunteer initiatives, and if funded, implements new programs, and evaluates the results.
REQUIREMENTS: • Bachelor’s Degree in Human Services or related field.
• Strong attention to detail and organization of information is essential; excellent organizational skills.
• Effective communication and interpersonal skills—one-to-one, in small and large group settings and through various modes of technology; deals effectively with a variety of people and personalities; communicates clearly and effectively both orally and in writing to all levels of people inside and outside the organization; ability to summarize information accurately.
• Ability to identify, evaluate, problem-solve, and give direction regarding problem resolution for individual and company-wide issues. • Must be comfortable working with people from diverse backgrounds.
• Must have excellent customer service-type skills.
• Able to establish and maintain professional boundaries with clients and demonstrate professionalism in discussing client issues.
• Evaluates, documents and discusses the performance of volunteers.
• Works and makes decisions independently, requires minimal supervision.
• Self-motivated, fast learner, shows initiative
• Understands the confidential nature of client and organizational information and maintains confidentiality.
• Experience with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Access and Outlook.
PREFERRED SKILLS: Course work in management/supervision, evaluation or human relations is desirable.
One year experience in a supervisory/management environment working with volunteers is preferred.
One year experience as a volunteer (for any agency) is preferred.
Experience working with people with a vision loss preferred.
TO APPLY: Please print off application and data record from our website. Once at our website, tab to "About Us," and tab to "Employment at VLR."
Please mail completed application, data record, and resume to:
Vision Loss Resources Attention: Human Resources 1936 Lyndale Avenue South Minneapolis, MN 55403
Or fax to: 612-872-0189.
Resumes without application will not be accepted.
Vision Loss Resources is an Equal Opportunity Employer.