How to Become a Security Guard in New Jersey In 2007 the New Jersey Legislature enacted the Security Officer Registration Act (S.O.R.A.). The law mandated that all contract security officers working, or seeking employment in New Jersey, be certified in accordance with the act. S.O.R.A. instructed the Superintendent of the New Jersey State Police to establish a curriculum in order to train Security Officers. These requirements serve to standardize and professionalize the Security Industry. How do I apply for a Security Officer Certification under the S.O.R.A. act?
The S.O.R.A. certification application process is achieved by completing the following 3 requirements within a 30 day period.
1. You must register with the New Jersey State Police. 1. Log onto njsp org 2. Click on services 3. Click on Private Detective Info. 4. Click on SORA Updates 5. Click on Security Officer and Instructor Applications (yellow box on the right) Note: There is a non-refundable fee of $75.00 to complete the Security Officer application process.
2. You must be fingerprinted. 1. You MUST print the SAGEM MORPHO fingerprint form. 2. You MUST also print the 30 Day Temporary Certificate from your online application. You will need two copies of the 30 Day Temporary Certificate: • One copy for your records and • One copy for the S.O.R.A class. This form will contain all your application information and the following: • Block #19: 45:19A4 • Block #20: Security Officer Certification • Block #21: ORI # NJ920670Z • Block #22: APP and 4 numbers
3. You must provide a fingerprint scan at a Sagen Morpho Center. • There is $78.00 fee. • An appointment can be made on-line at bioapplicant com nj.
4. Once those 3 steps are completed, you must attend and pass the required 24 hour training with a New Jersey State Police certified S.O.R.A. instructor.
5. Complete your registration at a1sentinelsecurityconsultants Reminders: • A NJ S.O.R.A. certification remains in effect for two years. • You must be at least 18 years of age to receive certification. • If you have a Criminal Conviction - Check with the New Jersey State Police prior to applying. NJSP Private Detective Unit (609) 777- 2000 • Under S.O.R.A. a re-certification after two years is mandatory in order to continue to legally work as a contract security guard. • Security Officers must submit their renewal application and non-refundable $60.00 prior to the expiration of the current license. • Security Officers are required to complete an 8 hour refresher course provided by a New Jersey State Police certified S.O.R.A. Instructor, prior to the to the expiration of the current certification.
If you need more information today, don't hesitate to call Mike at:
A-1 Sentinel Security Consultants, L.L.C. Netcong, New Jersey 07857 973 618-6575 cell