In June, 2008, my wife and I moved into a lovely rental home. Our agreement with the owner called for a month to month rental at a monthly rental fee of $1,350. We came to love this home, and my wife took pride in how great she had fixed up the front and back yards with flowers, decorations, etc. We put out all the money for that at no cost to the owner. We always paid our rent on time and in full each month without fail. We also paid for a landscape service and a maid cleaning service on a regular basis. All was going well until the owner decided to sell this home in January of this year. The owner is in the military and owed much more on the home ($280,000) than the home was now valued at ($179,000). Thus, the owner was able to go through the new Government Homeowners Assistance Program (HAP) and get the home paid off because she was in the military. She then offered to sell the home to me, and I agreed to buy it for $175,000 which was what I could borrow via a VA loan. I went through a lender and all was going well, except for the fact that this transaction was taking an awful long time. I was told by the seller’s real estate agent that the cause for the delay was due to HAP and he said the government always takes a long time to do things, which I suppose is true. At any rate, my VA loan was approved and my credit score was okay and approved also by my lender. Things were at last seemingly moving along and I had signed and initial a vast number of documents these past few weeks, and was informed that escrow should close on the 28th of June. I had even given the seller’s realtor a bank check for $1,000 a couple of weeks ago that he said he needed to give the Title Company for earnest money. I gave this $1,000 even though the realtor never showed me a Contingency Removal Form and I never of course signed one. He also had me endorse a copy of the HAP Government Sales Contract and said he would send me a copy of it later, which he never did. He gave me only a blank copy of the HAP sales contract. When my lender’s loan officer first checked my credit score back in January it was fine. Since then someone somehow got hold of my credit card numbers and charged things to them that were not authorized at all by me. In other words, ID theft occurred here. I only had about 6 or 7 open accounts and all were being paid each month as agreed (Chase, Capital One, BofA, etc.). When the ID theft occurred, I of course contacted each creditor and also filled out the necessary forms, etc. The only account that was okay was for my new car, which I purchased in October, 2009, and which every payment has been made on time to date. Nothing was done about this ID theft by my creditors and they still wanted me to pay money on my account, which I refused to do until or unless they cleared it all up and removed the charges that were not mine. This has not been done to date, so when my loan officer again checked on my credit score yesterday (he said he had to do a new credit check because the initial one was over 90 days old) he discovered that my credit score was in the toilet, so to speak! I tried to explain to him about the ID thing, but he said there was nothing he could do. He said my loan was “now dead”. I still want this house and should point out that our income is $5,202 monthly and that is a NET figure. And, yes, I can verify that income. My wife and I are both retired senior citizens and we both have pensions and monthly social security benefits, minus Medicare part B and prescription costs of course. Yesterday was “black Friday” for us and I cannot even get an email reply from the seller’s realtor about my $1,000 earnest money. That should be returned to me, I am told, but this man does not reply to my phone calls or emails. Finally, can someone help, please? We would be forever grateful. Just contact us, if you can help, very soon with instructions on how to reach you, okay? Thank you.