Purpose: Our volunteers empower children, youth and families living with HIV/AIDS. Our volunteers bring diverse experience and various backgrounds to Camp Laurel and are strong, unique role models for our campers and help our campers become strong, confident, positive individuals. Camp Laurel volunteers are so important because our campers perhaps would not otherwise have had such a positive influence in their lives. Join us for our upcoming Summer/Teen Adventure Camp, which will take place from July 3-10, 2010 in Big Bear!!!
Responsibilities: • Maintain health and safety of all campers
• Work closely with a co-counselor to identify and meet camper needs.
• Create group unity and provide opportunities for each camper to experience success.
• Help each camper meet the camp goals, including increased self-esteem.
• Provide guidance and encouragement for camper participation in activities.
• Aid in the supervision of activity areas.
• Communicate openly with staff to ensure effective resolution of conflicts.
• Participate actively in staff meetings, trainings, and supervisory conferences.
• Adhere to all of Camp Laurel’s policies and regulations.
• Be a positive role model who sets a good example for campers and peers.
Qualifications: • Desire and ability to work with children in the outdoors. Prior experience working with children beneficial.
• Have no hesitations about working with children or adults with HIV/AIDS.
• Ability to relate to one’s peer group and work well with people from diverse backgrounds.
• Ability to accept supervision, guidance, and constructive feedback.
• Ability to assist in teaching an activity.
• A positive role model for children and peers (exemplary character, good judgment, approachable, etc.)
• Possess enthusiasm, patience, and high degree of self-control.
• Emotional stability to endure stressful situations and calmly resolve conflict.
How to apply: In order to be a volunteer for Camp Laurel you will need to complete an application and interview process. To get started contact Tabitha Shirazi, Director of Volunteers, at 626-683-0800. More information can also be found on the website.
Time Commitment: Camp is a residential camp, which involves a 24 hr commitment at an 8 day camp. All volunteers are required to attend a 2 day training at the Camp Laurel office. Training for our upcoming Summer/Teen Adventure Camp will take place June 12-13, 2010.
Benefits: “The kids at Camp Laurel are unlike any I’ve encountered before. I’ve never met such a spirited, enthusiastic, entertaining, intelligent, and loving group before in my life.”
“Camp Laurel has made such a positive impact on my life. It has given me the opportunity to meet such wonderful people; campers, counselors, and staff. It has given me a sense of doing something that really matters and makes a difference…It is life changing because it makes you really put your life into perspective and realize what in life is important.”